The Rotowaro Coalfield and Opencast Mine has been sold to BT Mining Limited.
It was first mined in 1915 after a branch railway and a bridge were put over the Waikato River. The present opencast mine opened in 1958.
The majority of Rotowaro coal goes by overland conveyor to Genesis Power Ltd’s Huntly Power Station and by rail to New Zealand Steel’s Glenbrook steel mill. The remainder supplies North Island industrial and home heating markets.
For information about the Rotowaro Opencast Mine when it was owned by Solid Energy, download our Rotowaro Mine Fact Sheet (PDF, 3.2 MB).